CYC Sports Award Banquet
(pictures from the 2011 Banquet)
58th Annual Sports Award Banquet
The 58th Annual Sports Award Banquet will be held on March 12, 2014 at the Crowne Plaza in Clayton.
Please note the change of season for the banquet. Thank you to all of our volunteers and supporters.
for more information; please contact the CYC Sports Department at 314-353-8911
2012 Award Winners
- Gold Boot: Bill Becher Silver Boot: Ed Cody
St. Christopher, North County District
now lives in the St. Charles District
- Sports Service Awards:
- Basketball: Roy Hatchard (South County District, Assumption)
- Baseball: Keith Louis (South County District, St. Margaret Mary)
- Softball: Nancy Esparza-Lang (St. Louis City District, Epiphany)
- Soccer: Jerry Beckerle (St. Louis City District, St. Gabriel)
- Volleyball: Susan Harvey (West County District, St. Joseph-Manchester)
- Golf: Eric Westrich (North County District, St. Ferdinand)
Nancy Esparza-Lang Jerry Beckerle Susan Harvey Eric Westrich
- District Service Person of the Year:
- St. Louis City: Daneen Schlereth (St. John the Baptist)
- West County: Dan Crowe (St. Alban Roe)
- South Central: Mark Schwent (St. Paul)
- South County: Cindy Dierkes (Immaculate Conception)
- St. Charles: Chip Brandt (St. Elizabeth Ann Seton)
- North County: Dan Callan (Sacred Heart)
Daneen Schlereth Dan Crowe Cindy Dierkes Dan Callan
- To view gallery of photos from the 2010 CYC Sports Banquet on Snapfish click here.
Every year the CYC holds a dinner to honor the volunteers of the program. This event started as a pre-match dinner for the International Soccer matches, generally between a team from Europe and a team of CYC All-Stars. These games and the "Kick-off Dinners" were started in the mid-1950's, usually the night before the game to introduce the players. From the dinners spawned the Soccer Banquet, which was the forerunner to the CYC Sports Banquets. In the early years honorees were all soccer related, with the major awards being the Gold & Silver Boot Awards.
The Gold and Silver Boots are still presented at today's event, the Gold Boot being presented to any player, coach, manager, game official, administrator, sponsor or contributor who has participated in St. Louis Soccer before 1955, the Silver Boot is for those that participated in St. Louis Soccer after 1955.
Nominations are made on the basis of the individual's contribution and service which advanced the popularity and appreciation for the game of soccer. Nominee is an individual who has exemplified sportsmanship and dedication and a love for the game of soccer.
In 1973 the “District Person of the Year” award was started, this award is presented to a person from each one of our CYC Districts. Each district selects their Awardee on the contributions that person has made over the years to their parish or district.
In 1984 the CYC began presenting the “Sport Service” award, in baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball and track. This award is presented to a player, coach, manager, game official, administrator, sponsor or contributor who has participated in their CYC sport.
Nominations are made on a basis of the individual’s contribution and service which has advanced the popularity and appreciation of the CYC “Sport” Program. Nominee is an individual who has exemplified sportsmanship and dedication and is committed to the betterment of youth sports. Nominees have participated in their respective CYC “Sport” Program for at least five years.
Please make plans to attend this year's event and help support the volunteers of the program.