CYC Sports Award Banquet
2017 CYC Sports Awards Banquet
SAVE THE DATE for this year's Sports Awards Banquet!
Date: Wednesday, October 25, 2017
Location: Clayton Plaza Hotel
60th Annual Sports Awards Banquet & 75th Anniversary Celebration
The 60th Annual CYC Sports Awards Dinner & 75th Anniversary Celebration was held on Thursday, October 27, 2016 at the Clayton Plaza Hotel. CYC volunteers were recognized for their service and dedication. Thank you to all those who attended the Banquet to support our CYC volunteers!
2016 District Person of the Year Award Recipients are:
- Mike Johnson - North County District (St. Ferdinand)
- Pat Vetter - St. Charles District (Holy Spirit)
- Ryan Kennedy - South Central District (St. Margaret of Scotland)
- Tom Shaver - South County District (St. Dominic Savio)
- David Stumpf - West County District (St. Clement of Rome)
Mike Johnson Pat Vetter Ryan Kennedy Tom Shaver David Stumpf
2016 Sports Service Award Recipients are:
- Tony Pozzo - Baseball Service (South County District, Queen of All Saints)
- Marc Langhauser - Basketball Service (South Central District, St. Michael the Archangel)
- Don Bowe - Soccer Service (South County District, St. Simon the Apostle)
- Cindi Whalen - Softball Service (South County District, Assumption-Mattese)
- Debbie McCubbins - Volleyball Service (South Central District, Immaculate Heart of Mary)
- Meg & Tim Nash - Track Service (South Central District, Holy Redeemer)
Tony Pozzo Marc Langhauser Don Bowe
Cindi Whalen Debbie McCubbins Tim & Meg Nash
2016 Silver Boot Recipient - Dick Westbrook (Most Sacred Heart-Eureka)
Photos from Past Award Banquets:
Every year the CYC holds a dinner to honor the volunteers of the program. This event started as a pre-match dinner for the International Soccer matches, generally between a team from Europe and a team of CYC All-Stars. These games and the "Kick-off Dinners" were started in the mid-1950's, usually the night before the game to introduce the players. From the dinners spawned the Soccer Banquet, which was the forerunner to the CYC Sports Banquets. In the early years honorees were all soccer related, with the major awards being the Gold & Silver Boot Awards.
The Gold and Silver Boots are still presented at today's event, the Gold Boot being presented to any player, coach, manager, game official, administrator, sponsor or contributor who has participated in St. Louis Soccer before 1955, the Silver Boot is for those that participated in St. Louis Soccer after 1955.
Nominations are made on the basis of the individual's contribution and service which advanced the popularity and appreciation for the game of soccer. Nominee is an individual who has exemplified sportsmanship and dedication and a love for the game of soccer.
In 1973 the “District Person of the Year” award was started, this award is presented to a person from each one of our CYC Districts. Each district selects their Awardee on the contributions that person has made over the years to their parish or district.
In 1984 the CYC began presenting the “Sport Service” award, in baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball and track. This award is presented to a player, coach, manager, game official, administrator, sponsor or contributor who has participated in their CYC sport.
Nominations are made on a basis of the individual’s contribution and service which has advanced the popularity and appreciation of the CYC “Sport” Program. Nominee is an individual who has exemplified sportsmanship and dedication and is committed to the betterment of youth sports. Nominees have participated in their respective CYC “Sport” Program for at least five years.
Please make plans to attend this year's event and help support the volunteers of the program.